Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Mulberry Tunic from Willow & Co Patterns



I knew from the very first moment I saw the sketches that I wanted to sew the Mulberry Tunic. This is the first pattern from Olga of Kid Approved. It was released as part of the Willow & Co Pattern collective for the Wanderlust collection


I LOVE this tunic. It is a totally timeless style with modern elements - such as such as button tabs on the sleeves and pieces that can be color-blocked.  And the hood! What kid doesn't love hoods?


Apparently R2-D2 likes the Mulberry Tunic too :)


Yes, we are gearing up for May the Fourth!
Since R2 (that's what his homies call him) is my son's favorite Star Wars character at the moment, 
I sewed up this Mulberry with an R2-D2 pocket.


The main body of the shirt was sewn using a yummy gray chambray. I wish I had like ten more yards of this fabric because it is awesome. It sews easily and looks great! It does fray easily, but since the Mulberry Tunic has some neat finishing techniques the fraying is no worry.


The front yoke and button tabs on the sleeves were sewn using a blue sateen. It has a nice tight weave and was so easy to work with. The fabric resists wrinkles pretty well, which makes for a lovely finish.
 Than I used a deep yellow, almost mustard colored, contrast thread. The bias binding on the neckline is this same yellow color. I love how the yellow thread really played up the details in the tunic and brought the colors together.


I made a size 12 for my son and the fit is spot on! He is getting so big that it has become increasingly harder to find sewing patterns that still fit him. That just makes the Mulberry all the more awesome!

 All in all, the Mulberry Tunic get s really big, HUGE, thumbs up! 

Thanks for checking it out. Stay cool! B)




No comments:

Post a Comment